[WEB4LIB] RE: Decision tree for Web resources

Roy Tennant roy.tennant at ucop.edu
Wed Mar 16 12:48:47 EST 2005

On Mar 16, 2005, at 9:17 AM, Ross Singer wrote:

> CDL's Searchlight (formerly Database Advisor):
> http://searchlight.cdlib.org/cgi-bin/searchlight
> sort of does what you're talking about.  The user enters a query and it
> queries the databases in a given subject area for relevance.
>
> Of course, CDL isn't really pursuing this anymore, but the technology
> still holds some merit (at least in principle).

The above statement is, oddly enough, simultaneously right and wrong.
Ross is correct that we are in the midst of replacing Searchlight with
a different metasearching infrastructure, but believe it or not, we are
also planning to return to its roots as well. That is, we realized that
especially for our "SmartStart" portal aimed at undergraduates, a good
subject database recommendation service could be a really useful
component of such a search service.

In other words, a search is entered, we search it in several large,
general purpose databases, but simultaneously also use that query to
try to determine which (probably top three) subject-focused databases
would apply for that search, and display those to the user as well
along with the search results from the general databases. We haven't
yet figured out the best way of doing that database advisor function,
which is why we are very interested in the work or Ross and others who
are trying different methods. If anyone has any great ideas, I'm all
ears! Thanks,
Roy