[WEB4LIB] RE: Decision tree for Web resources

Ross Singer ross.singer at library.gatech.edu
Wed Mar 16 12:12:11 EST 2005

Jim,
I am currently struggling with this same problem (although from a
somewhat different perspective--how to show the user other useful local
resources based on what they're already looking at).  Still, the problem
is similar, how to cull the vast amount of resources down to relevant
and useful things.

CDL's Searchlight (formerly Database Advisor):
http://searchlight.cdlib.org/cgi-bin/searchlight
sort of does what you're talking about.  The user enters a query and it
queries the databases in a given subject area for relevance.

Of course, CDL isn't really pursuing this anymore, but the technology
still holds some merit (at least in principle).

For the WAG the Dog, I'm trying something similar.  For a given
citation, take the ISSN (this will be expanded, but... baby steps), find
the DB this ISSN appears in, query the catalog for the ISSN and bring
back the subject headings, query the catalog on those subject headings
and bring back other resources, display databases that include /those/
ISSNs and show any of them that are web resources.

Conceivably, if we had a metasearch engine, we could then create a
custom query against the databases that were identified in the above
process.

Hopefully in the near future it will also be able to match against our
subject guides to bring back relevant "non-article" based resources, as
well.

It's just been "working" since yesterday, so it's /extremely/ crude (and
slow), but you can get an idea as to what I'm talking about by going to:

http://rsinger.library.gatech.edu/wagger/index.php?waggerURL=aHR0cDovL3NjaG9sYXIuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS9zY2hvbGFyP2hsPWVuJmxyPSZzYWZlPW9mZiZjMmNvZmY9MSZxPXdpbmcrZHJhZyZidG5HPVNlYXJjaA==

Click on any of the "Explore from here" links (except for the one next
to the Phil. Trans. R. Soc. Lond. B citation... that one doesn't work
yet) and wait wait wait.

-Ross.