[Web4lib] Lists of web search terms?

Richard Wiggins richard.wiggins at gmail.com
Wed Jul 20 17:11:24 EDT 2005

Hmmm...
 I live in the search logs at a major midwestern university, and I attack
this problem with frequent log analysis. An article I wrote on the subject
is at:
 http://www.infotoday.com/searcher/oct02/wiggins.htm
 But if I understand your challenge, it's to discover the search terms that
people are using to find a site like yours, that today aren't leading to
your site. That's a tougher nut to crack. I suggest a small focus group.
When you're on your recruiting trips, ask the folks you're interviewing if
they found your Web site before setting up the interview, and what they
searched for to find it.
 I would also analyze your Web logs and look at the search referral report
carefully. If your site has a local search engine, I'd do analysis of what
things people type into the search box after arriving at your site. This may
give insights into variant spellings and such.
 From years of analyzing search logs, I can tell you that people may use
search phrases that are not intuitive at times, but what they type has very
few words -- literature says 1-2 word searches are most common.
 As for meta-tags, I still suggest you tune them, but some spiders pay
little attention. Make sure your title and your text includes the terms you
think will resonate (in text, not just in graphics) in addition to
meta-tags. Make your <title> tags descriptive and meaningful for each page
of content.
 /rich