[Web4lib] RE: library automation vendors

Jim Campbell campbell at virginia.edu
Wed Jul 20 14:54:20 EDT 2005

Well, Ms. Kamm, two replies and a comment:

1. I do work in an academic library (and incidentally we also circulate a
lot of fiction and have the same printing problems - different content but
same idea). By and large our clients also still prefer hard copy (and so do
I). That's why I said "as we _eventually_ move more into e-books" the
definition will change. I think it's going to happen, just as I think we're
going to give up local bibliographic databases, but I don't expect either
eventuality next month. But I do think the definition of "local" is changing
now, certainly for journals and for reference materials.

2. You know your customers don't want this stuff, but are you sure your
community doesn't? People who are getting used to finding things on the Web
may not be coming to the library or calling you and so missing out on things
you provide. We see that with our customers and I suspect it happens in the
public library world as well. I've been a user and supporter of one or
another public library for over 50 years but have noticed that I almost
never go anymore just to look something up the way I used to.

And e-book readers nowadays include PDAs and some telephones. It's not
something I'm tempted to do, but I can tell you from looking at some of the
e-book discussion groups that there are people out there right now reading
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince on PDAs. They're probably too young
for the margaritas though.

- Jim Campbell

Digital Access Coordinator and Librarian for German
E-Mail: Campbell at Virginia.Edu | Voice: 434-924-4985

Digital Access Services, University of Virginia Library
http://www.lib.virginia.edu/digital/das/