[Web4lib] RE: library automation vendors

Amos Lakos aalakos at library.ucla.edu
Tue Jul 19 12:35:36 EDT 2005

Very interesting comment.

For years some of us who have worked on issues related to assessment in
libraries,
have observed that libraries do a lot of ad-hoc assessment work, but rarely
do they do this systematically.

Everybody also agrees that they need to build a culture of assessment, but
rarely do we really invest in the resources that will sustain such a
culture. For over 20 years, Chuck McClure was talking about the need for
Management Information Systems or Services in libraries. I was talking
about this for over ten years.

A small number of libraries are starting to invest in structures and staff
resources dedicated to organizing data and doing analysis systematically.
As web services are strategically critical to us, investing in usability
testing on an ongoing basis would be a no-brainer.

Keep on discussing the need for ongoing assessment framework - exactly the
question you asked - "what is it that libraries need to stop doing - and
start INVESTING in systematic assessment frameworks???

Amos

--On Tuesday, July 19, 2005 12:21 PM -0400 "Suzanne M. Gray"

Amos Lakos
Librarian, Rosenfeld Management Library
UCLA - Anderson School of Management
110 Westwood Plaza, Box 951460