[Web4lib] RE: library automation vendors

Sue Kamm suekamm at mindspring.com
Tue Jul 19 12:17:48 EDT 2005

-----Original Message-----
From: David Walker <dwalker at csusm.edu>
<snip>

Libraries spend a lot of money on technology.  But if we don't devote
resources to hiring good, talented people to actually implement,
integrate, and improve on that technology, then we aren't really getting
the most out of our investment.

Having just one or two people who "install and maintain" the systems
while the rest of the personnel are in public services worked when the
ILS was it and the dumb terminal ruled the day.

>>This, of course, depends on the library.  It was like pulling teeth to have the city where I work agree to having a full-time techie at the library.

Unless your library is large (think a main library and 25 or more branches, or in a system which doesn't have a central library, 25 agencies), you're probably at the mercy of your parent jurisdiction's computer people.  If your library is anything like ours - main library, two branches - the IT folk don't have us high on the list when it comes to dealing with library-related issues.

Our circ system and catalog are home-grown.   In order to migrate to an OPAC, we had to teach the techies about MARC records - what they are and how do they work.  (I keep hoping we are able to implement a vendor-supplied circ/catalog/other program before I retire.  Yeah, right.)

Do academic libraries have access to their technical people nights and weekends?  When a system crashes - usually fifteen minutes after the resident techies have gone home ;) - night and weekend staff need to have someone to call on.

Your friendly CyberGoddess and Councilor-at-large,
Sue Kamm
Inglewood/Los Angeles, CA
Truest of the Blue, Los Angeles Dodgers Think Blue Week 2000
Visit my home page:
http://suekamm.home.mindspring.com/index.htm
email:  suekamm [at] mindspring.com
"What I wonder is, where are all the guys who just like to play baseball?"
--Wes Parker, former Los Angeles Dodgers infielder