[Web4lib] RE: library automation vendors

Jim Campbell campbell at virginia.edu
Tue Jul 19 11:18:43 EDT 2005

2 notes.

I don't see why it's a given that the direct interface is faster. We're in
the process of implementing Sirsi's version of MuseGlobal and I don't detect
much speed difference with the opac between it and ILink. Which I guess may
be a comment either about Ilink or ExLibris, don't know which. On the speed
issue, I'm intrigued by the MAB browser plugin for the Amazon sites, which
does a neat job of breaking down the distinction between the hit list and
the individual record. I don't know that it really is faster but just not
having those separate displays makes it seem faster.

> >> Aren't we approaching a point where it would be simpler to use
> >> WorldCat or the RLIN Bib File as the opac and get rid of a
> lot of the
> >> local overhead?
>
> I've often thought the same things.
>
> But periodically people remind me that the ILS is principally
> an inventory management system.  We need something that keeps
> track of purchasing and circulation of items (our campus
> actually uses our system to circulate laptops and other
> equipment as well), fines, and other mundane things.
>
> WorldCat doesn't do that.

Well, no, not yet, but if customers wanted that, it might. Or maybe that's
what ought to be done locally. Most larger systems are already modular with
acquisitions and circulation linking to a separate biblographic database.
Whichever way we look at it, it really does seem silly to invest in all
these local dumps of the same bibliographic records.

- Jim Campbell
Campbell at Virginia.edu