[Web4lib] RE: library automation vendors

David Walker dwalker at csusm.edu
Tue Jul 19 10:50:54 EDT 2005

>> What we really ought to be thinking
>> about is not the interface to the
>> OPAC, but the interface to the metasearch engine

I think you're absolutely right, Jim.

The system we're rolling out here at Cal State San Marcos this Fall
actually spends most of its time interfacing with the API to our
metasearch system (Metalib).  Three universities, including ours, have
been working with the vendor, Ex Libris, to improve it.

There are times, however, when our users will only be looking for books,
reserves, journals, and other 'local' resources (we figure anywhere from
30-50% of the time), in which case it is faster to interface with the
catalog directly.  For us that means interfacing with our catalog's API.

>> Aren't we approaching a point where it would
>> be simpler to use WorldCat or the RLIN Bib File
>> as the opac and get rid of a lot of the local overhead?

I've often thought the same things.

But periodically people remind me that the ILS is principally an
inventory management system.  We need something that keeps track of
purchasing and circulation of items (our campus actually uses our system
to circulate laptops and other equipment as well), fines, and other
mundane things.

WorldCat doesn't do that.

--Dave

David Walker