[Web4lib] Google limit of 1,000 results

Isidro F. Aguillo isidro at cindoc.csic.es
Tue Jul 19 02:24:33 EDT 2005

We are using the raw number provided by Google for our ranking of
universities on the web:

www.webometrics.info

When we ask for the number of pages of a university domain
(site:cam.ac.uk), we discover that numbers provided by Google are
rounded (all results end in 00 or 000). For some institutions, Google
database still provides results no longer available (pages, but also
complete domains). Moreover, number of pages from some eastern Asian
countries seems very low, specially regarding Japanese universities. So
there is also bias in coverage.

We still use the data as our aim is to build rankings based on relative
positions, but we will thank exact figures and a more consistent
coverage by Google.

Other search engines show similar shortcommings, but for example MSN
Search gives exact numbers and better coverage of Asian countries.

Best regards,

--
***************************************
Isidro F. Aguillo