[Web4lib] Google limit of 1,000 results

bernhard Eversberg ev at buch.biblio.etc.tu-bs.de
Mon Jul 18 05:26:20 EDT 2005

K.G. Schneider  wrote:

 > Part of Google's success is the ability of a commercial company to
 > sell the world on the concept that Google has solved all problems
 > related to information discovery and retrieval.

Indeed they do:

  "What is Google Print?
   Google's mission is to organize the world's information, but much of
   that information isn't yet online. Google Print aims to get it there
   by putting book content where you can find it most easily – right in
   your Google search results."

What's our mission then? Do we have any left?

 > I use Google every day, but I don't
 > think it's the answer to everything, and I believe if we do not ask
 > the big questions we do a disservice to our communities.

A While ago, I put together some stuff under the title of
"On the theory of library catalogs and search engines":
    http://www.allegro-c.de/formate/tlcse.htm

That paper, updated recently, might be helpful in this context.

Regards, B. Eversberg
Universitaetsbibliothek Braunschweig
Germany