[Web4lib] Next new thing?

Lars Aronsson lars at aronsson.se
Sat Jul 16 18:44:17 EDT 2005

Sloan, Bernie wrote:
> First we had blogging, and then podcasting.
> What's the next new up-and-coming thing along these lines?

Many people are now in their first decade of e-mail, digital
(still and video) photography, blogging, digital music collection
building, etc.  In the coming decade many will learn about
archiving, backup, loss and aging of personal digital materials.
Some will fade like color photos from the 1950s.  But there are
also big hopes of being able to search decades past.

We will need better ways to organize (and add metadata to) our
personal collections for the purpose of future recall.  Where was
this photo taken?  And who are the people?  Do I have any photos
of aunt Mary?  How can I find them?

If we can manage our digital collections over time, the 2nd
millennium AD will seem like the dark ages, just like we are now
used to view the time before the printing press.

--
  Lars Aronsson (lars at aronsson.se)