[Fwd: Re: [Web4lib] RE: Another Google question]

Jennifer Heise jahb at Lehigh.EDU
Fri Jul 15 15:00:52 EDT 2005

 Coverage and indexing: things we should be thinking about in our library
 catalogs.

 The advent of buying all cataloging from OCLC/LC really has reduced the
 complexity of subject descriptions in catalogs, and thus the
 web-useability even with keyword searching, of those catalogs. Adding
 tables of contents makes a big difference in relevance searching, but
 many items are not cataloged with T-of-C. For works that are edited
 collections of articles, this is a major problem, especially if the
 subject area is one that is poorly indexed.

 As a person with an interest in the material culture of pre-modern
 history, I've formed the habit of trying to get tables of contents for
 edited books I use out there on the web somewhere, so that there's some
 chance people will find the articles when they need them. My best bet
 for adding this value (as Taylor sez) to the information is putting it
 out where Google and other web indexes can find it, as I'm not a
 cataloger and even if I was, libraries have complex sets of rules
 governing what goes into their cataloging records.

 This is a web question, really it is-- how can libraries increase
 precision and recall of searching in their collections, and how do they
 bring people in to their collections via the web?

/   Jennifer Heise, Helpdesk/Librarian, Email: jahb at lehigh.edu
\ \ Lehigh Library & Technology Services, Phone: (610) 758-3072
  / Fairchild-Martindale Library, 8A Packer Ave, Bethlehem PA 18015

"Comment is free, but facts are on expenses." -- Tom Stoppard