[Web4lib] RE: Another Google question

Karen Coyle kcoyle at kcoyle.net
Fri Jul 15 14:04:42 EDT 2005

Mike Taylor wrote:

>The big, big win you get from Google is that its top hit (or second,
>or third) is nearly always the one you want.

What Google is very good at is the retrieval of pages based on proper
names (the name of a company, an organization, or a product) where there
is a single obvious answer. So if you search on IBM or iPod or american
civil liberties union, you get a good hit. For various reasons
(trademark being not the least of them), those names work as
identifiers, and there are individual pages dedicated to the things they
identify. It's almost like a yellow pages entry for known pages. For
that "yellow pages" function it works quite well.

For other types of searches, Google doesn't work so well. There's no
"conceptual" searching. Topics like "childhood development" or "legal
theory" come out very poorly. For names of people, you tend to get pages
that have lists of the graduating class of blah blah high school,
because they have every possible forename and surname combination.
(Note: you and I do well on google searches because not only do we have
our own web pages, we have our own domains. I suspect that makes a big
difference. My friend Bill Jones doesn't fare so well. Even adding the
name of his institution I don't see anything about him until the third
page.) Do a search on something like "antique candy dish" and you find
yourself with ebay-like pages that list 20-50 items, each with one of
the words in your query.

One of the things that I think we can conclude about Google, and that it
should  be possible to study, is that people tend to approach search
engines with a verison of the library world's "known item" search. You
are looking for someone or some page that you know exists or are pretty
sure should exist. (After all, why go searching for something that might
not be there?) You have an "identifier" in mind that you will use for
this search. What Google has done brilliantly is respond to the way
people search, not how we think they *should* search (which is more the
philosophy behind library catalogs). But that also means that Google
embodies the intellectual limitations of the average person's search
techniques.

kc

--
kcoyle at kcoyle.net http://www.kcoyle.net