[Web4lib] Getting catalog software vendors to make more useable software choices

Joshua Ferraro jmf at liblime.com
Fri Jul 15 13:01:05 EDT 2005

On Fri, Jul 15, 2005 at 09:33:18AM -0700, Karen Coyle wrote:
> (well, and good database design, but I'm assuming here that the problem
> is the public view, not the backend database). Note that in today's
You might be surprised to find that this assumption is incorrect for
many of the systems out there. :-)

> As I've said before, it is time to dis-integrate the ILS, for the sake
> of our users.
While I don't disagree that that's one approach to the problem, I'd prefer
to see greater modularization of an integrated system. Separating content
from presentation is critical ... but there's feedback from the user
side as well. Also, why limit just the user interface to open source when
you can have the whole API? One thing to keep in mind is that many
of the newer proprietary ILSes out there are using open-source tools
like Lucene as their back end anyway.

Cheers,
--
Joshua Ferraro               VENDOR SERVICES FOR OPEN-SOURCE SOFTWARE
LibLime                  Koha ILS, Mambo Intranet, DiscrimiNet Filter