[Web4lib] Getting catalog software vendors to make more useable software choices

Joshua Ferraro jmf at liblime.com
Fri Jul 15 12:29:22 EDT 2005

Hi Jenne,

I think the problem you're describing is common and in part is
due to the fact the traditional software vendors must aim at
the 'middle of the market'. It's also due to the proprietary
nature of the software you're using: you don't have ownership
over which features are important to you and deserve attention.
It's a real disservice to libraries that most vendors have taken
this route.

One alternative is to consider switching to an open-source ILS
like Koha, which my company, LibLime, supports.

There are several advantages to using Koha:

1. no license fees (so it's more economical to operate)
2. Suprisingly feature-rich (e.g., already has a 'did you mean' feature)
3. If you want something developed you have the option to sponsor
	development through a software providor like LibLime (we've
	got several projects looking for sponsors right now).
4. the business model of an open-source vendor is by definition
	user-centric rather than product-centric so support for
	open-source products is widely recognized as better

My roots are in systems administration for a library that was facing
the exact issue you are: the Nelsonville Public Library System in Ohio.
We decided to sponsor MARC and Z39.50 support for Koha which cost
about as much as one year of license fees with our former vendor.
Here's a quote I love from the director of Nelsonville: "Frankly, after
experiencing the sensation of total control over our software, we
could never go back."

Earlier this year I co-founded LibLime to help facilitate software
collaboration in libraries by providing full vendor services and
consulting on Koha and several other library-relevant products.
We can help with data migration, installation, hosting, staff training,
maintenance, support, and development of new features like what you
describe in your email (BTW: I think FRBR may be close to what you're
looking for: http://www.loc.gov/cds/FRBR.html).
(we even have a toll-free support line ;-))

If you'd like more information feel free to email me off-list.

Sincerely,
--
Joshua Ferraro               VENDOR SERVICES FOR OPEN-SOURCE SOFTWARE
LibLime                  Koha ILS, Mambo Intranet, DiscrimiNet Filter