[Web4lib] Getting catalog software vendors to make more useable software choices

Jenne Heise jahb at Lehigh.EDU
Fri Jul 15 12:02:31 EDT 2005

For years, my library has been struggling with some basic usability
flaws in our online catalog interface for the web, things that can't
apparently be done with the software as it stands and are apparently low
priority for the vendor.

What are librarians doing to pressure catalog softwarevendors to address
usability issues?

Are there any libraries/library systems that have used authority control
to provide suggestions of alternative terms for searching? Are there
ways to make the 'more like this' feature in catalogs work well? What
works? What doesn't work?

-- Jenne Heise