[Web4lib] CMS & Local Hist. Database

Malakia Oglesby moglesby at asburyparklibrary.org
Mon Jul 11 17:30:43 EDT 2005

Thanks to all the replies about setting up the local history database.  I would like to use a CMS for the entire library website but the site has just been "redesigned" and I didn't want to subject our visitors to yet another change so soon, but I've already decided that we'll be making the move.

As far as CMSs go:

I've fiddled around with XOOPS (don't like), Drupal (like this one), and Mambo (love Mambo), but am in no position to give a detailed review of any particular one.  What I have found is that if you're fairly new to PHP/MySQL customizing a CMS to fit the look and style you want can be a little intimidating. The legwork required to figure it out is little compared to the benefits of having an integrated content management system.

 I've used Mambo the most, and it seems to be working out fine.  It's fairly easy to install and configure, and there are a lot of optional modules that can be added for additional functions.  I am going to check out Typo and WordPress as well to see how those stack up.

Also, HotScripts www.hotscripts.com has a listing of open source CMS, as well as tons of other scripts, programs, etc.

Malakia Oglesby
Tech./MIS
Asbury Park Public Library