[Web4lib] Google limit of 1,000 results

K.G. Schneider kgs at bluehighways.com
Fri Jul 8 13:11:26 EDT 2005

> (Due to variations in our estimates of results, we may occasionally
> display slightly fewer than 1000.) We try to make your search experience
> so efficient that it's not necessary to scroll past the first ten
> listings. We understand that some individuals would like to see more
> than 1000 results, but this isn't common, and it would heavily tax our
> system to provide these results for everyone."

It's intriguing that Attila the Search Engine makes that cut-off so low. I'm
assuming we're one of the few groups that care about this (though as groups
go, we should be).  One wonders how much of the Google world is smoke and
mirrors (or two twelve-year-olds in a garage).

Part of the fun of the Google Print/Scholar program at ALA's annual conf was
the occasional hearty laughter from the audience over comments from the
Google guy, who would stop cold and look up with a puzzled expression. I'll
try to dig up an example or two from my notes.

Karen G. Schneider
kgs at bluehighways.com