[Web4lib] Another Google question

Patricia F Anderson pfa at umich.edu
Wed Jul 6 08:54:56 EDT 2005

Hi, Lars,

Interesting question -- why look at lots of results. For myself, I rarely
look at more than the first 300. When I do, the query will fall in one of
these categories:

  - a topic of passionate interest where I truly want to see every possible
link (and I will spend *days* going through *all* links up to the max
displayed);

  - a topic where the first 100 only sporadically revealed anything
relevant, and I have not found the magic combination of terms to focus the
search.

Because I am someone who tends to skim large search results, I have my
Google preferences set to display 50-100 links per page of results, so it
doesn't take me long to skim large results sets.

What makes this question especially interesting to me is that I recently
attended a Grokker demonstration. They emphasized that a core aspect of
the purpose of Grokker's interface is to allow the serious researcher to
rapidly scan large results sets (research veresus search <g>). Their
arbitrary limit for Google is 1000 results per page, but this can be
customized by the end-user. Now, if someone is developing and marketing an
interface for this purpose, one might think there is at least *some* use
for some persons in being able to get beyond the first few pages of
results. It will be interesting to see how Grokker does, how their product
is used, and what types of persons find it most useful.

Best,

Patricia Anderson, pfa at umich.edu