[Web4lib] Another Google question

Lars Aronsson lars at aronsson.se
Wed Jul 6 01:43:57 EDT 2005

Patricia F Anderson wrote:
> Ijust tried a search for the word "the". Reported results were
> 3,190,000,000. Maximum displayed results were 946. "Repeat the
> search" button yielded the same number. I tried a few others,
> with equally unpredictatble results.

Perhaps they have a filter that can tell real searchers apart from
librarians just trying to test the system.  For example, no real
searchers would be interested in more than the first 900 hits, so
if you still click "next page", you are just testing.

I'm sorry for my ignorance, but what would be the point in finding
the 947th and 948th hit for any search expression?

--
  Lars Aronsson (lars at aronsson.se)