[Web4lib] get rid of the www?

K.G. Schneider kgs at bluehighways.com
Fri Jul 1 12:16:25 EDT 2005

> Actually, there was even a time when the www prefix was not
> standardized.  Many places who laumched early sites on the Web, circa
> March 1993, including Michigan State, went with the form
> "web.msu.edu".
>
> Back then, the folks at CERN also spelled it "World-Wide Web" instead
> of "World Wide Web".  Today, a lot of folks, especially in Europe,
> won't even hit the shift key to say "Web"....

At Librarians' Index to the Internet we just changed our style manual so
that we use "website" instead of "Web site." We got tired of waiting for the
AP Stylebook to catch up with society. (e-mail is also now email.)

We also respond, and will ALWAYS respond, to both lii.org and www.lii.org.
The former is what we market ourselves as, but so what? The latter is how a
lot of people find us.

Karen G. Schneider
kgs at lii.org