CSS versus tables when zooming a web page in Opera

John Fitzgibbon jfitzgibbon at Galwaylibrary.ie
Fri Jan 21 05:34:09 EST 2005

Hi,

As I have stated previously, I have created a navigation bar by creating
two divs. One div is absolutely positioned zero pixels from the top,
zero pixels from the left and 75 per cent from the right. The rest of
the document is contained in a div that is absolutely positioned zero
pixels from the top, 25 per cent from the left and zero pixels from the
right.

In Opera 7.54, it is possible to zoom the web page by up to one thousand
per cent or ten times its original size. This causes the text in my web
page to spill out beyond its containing div.

As recommended by the list, I tried basing width on the unit em. This,
for reasons that are unclear to me, does not work. The em unit is based
on letter size and should produce the relative scaling that is required.

I am not so keen on introducing scroll bars but may have to.

I have looked at other web pages and what interests me is that pages
that survive this degree of scaling (up to 1000 per cent) all seem to
use tables rather than CSS to achieve their layout. Is it conceivable
that tables might be better after all? Please say it ain't so.

John Fitzgibbon

Galway Public Library
Island House
Cathedral Square
Galway
Ireland

p: 00 353 91 562471
f: 00 353 91 565039
w: http://www.galwaylibrary.ie

Tá eolas atá príobháideach agus rúnda sa ríomhphost seo
agus aon iatán a ghabhann leis agus is leis an duine/na daoine
sin amháin a bhfuil siad seolta chucu a bhaineann siad.
Mura seolaí thú, níl tú údaraithe an ríomhphost nó aon iatán
a ghabhann leis a léamh, a chóipáil ná a úsáid.
Má tá an ríomhphost seo faighte agat trí dhearmad,
cuir an seoltóir ar an eolas thrí aischur ríomhphoist
agus scrios ansin é le do thoil.

This e-mail and any attachment contains information which is
private and confidential and is intended for the addressee
only. If you are not an addressee, you are not authorised
to read, copy or use the e-mail or any attachment.
If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify
the sender by return e-mail and then destroy it.