[WEB4LIB] RE: domain name squatters

Dan Lester dan at riverofdata.com
Wed Jan 19 11:15:31 EST 2005

BD> And Hennepincountylibrary.com sounds very much like forward thinking.
BD> In my opinion, one of the best "forward thinking" examples is Paramount
BD> Studios - you can search for any domain that's related to their
BD> properties (e.g., StarTrek.com) and find that they were registered in
BD> the 80s or early 90s.

Many have also taken the extra step of buying up the "typo" and
"spello" variants of their names, as well as the "sucks" "blows" and
similar perversions of their names, to head off those who would buy
'kmartsucks.com' and so forth.

Another technique used by "the big boys" is illustrated by HP's
spinoff a few years ago of Agilent.  They naturally had some big
consulting firm involved with choosing a name and so forth.  That
company bought up over 500 names that might potentially be used, and
others that were just to further conceal the things in the works.
None were registered to HP, of course, but to a middleman other than
the consulting company.

And who would have thought, back in 1980 or so, that we'd have this
type of intellectual property to deal with.

dan

--
Dan Lester, Data Wrangler  dan at RiverOfData.com 208-283-7711
3577 East Pecan, Boise, Idaho  83716-7115 USA