domain name squatters

Peterson, Glenn gpeterson at hclib.org
Wed Jan 5 16:19:49 EST 2005

I wish we could claim foresight!

We first learned about hennepincountylibrary.com about three years ago.
The cybersquatter was willing to sell us the name for $1000. The
standard fee charged by domain name arbitrators at the time was $1100.
Our County legal dept. and board of commissioners decided to sue rather
than arbitrate. Typically arbitration takes about two months -- we
received the court order 2 1/2 years after bringing the matter to the
attention of our legal folks. (Court delays were not the issue).

During those 2 1/2 years we received repeated, and often emotional,
e-mails from patrons who stumbled onto the .com site (which displayed
graphic photos of aborted fetuses). Anyone interested in more details of
this saga should feel free to contact me off-list.

Glenn Peterson                gpeterson at hclib.org
Web Administrator             http://www.hclib.org
Hennepin County Library       voice: 952-847-8659
12601 Ridgedale Drive         fax: 952-847-8642
Minnetonka, MN 55305