[WEB4LIB] Re: Co-founder of Wikipedia talks about problems

Fiona Bradley fiona.bradley at sbs.com.au
Tue Jan 4 16:28:38 EST 2005

>>> "Drew, Bill" <drewwe at MORRISVILLE.EDU> 5/01/2005 1:49:22 am >>>
>
>Then this discussion is pointless!  Juts because people use it does
not
>mean it is needed.  It could mean that they are unaware of better
>resources.

I'll admit it: I use Wikipedia. And Wikitravel, and wikicommons.

For me, as a librarian working with a very small reference collection
and incredibly short deadlines, Wikipedia provides a launching point. If
I am unfamiliar with a topic, I can get keywords from Wikipedia to look
up elsewhere. For example - on another list I subscribe to there was a
discussion of the origin of emoticons. I looked up the entry at
Wikipedia, followed some of the links, and used my information literacy
skills to verify the information.

>Until it becomes a resource created by experts and verified in some
way,
>it will always be suspect in my view.  A free resource as broad as
>Wikipedia will never be peer reviewed in any significant way.  When
>anyone can change the content in an article it is impossible to keep
it
>reliable.

Most publications are not peer reviewed, including books, journals and
conference papers. While I think there is still value in peer-review,
especially in the sciences, in many fields it doesn't work particularly
well. So why should the model be a prerequisite for good information?

>It may show how little most internet users care about the quality of
the
>information they use.

What defines quality of information? From a librarians' point of view,
that includes the reputation of the publisher, the degree to which new
information concurs with old information, and the research methods used.
Are these the best ways to define quality?

>This is not a classic generation shift. It just shows people going to
>what is available with the least effort!

Or as in my situation, going to the resources we have, in the time we
have.

regards,
Fiona

Acting Assistant Manager