[WEB4LIB] WAG the Dog PHP Web Localizer

Eric Hellman eric at openly.com
Thu Jan 27 23:01:35 EST 2005

The ideas that Ross, Peter and Art  have been exploring are very
important for us all to study very closely.

There are two approaches to the same ends being explored in their
work, the "bookmarklet" and the "plugin", and while the differences
are subtle, they are also very profound.

I'll write more when I have time, but I think the main lesson from
the largely unsuccessful first generation of bookmarklets and
plugins- 6 years ago already! - was that the paramount issues for
acceptance will be ones of user privacy, trust and security, not only
for the service provider, but also for the extension mechanism and
platform itself.

Thanks again to Ross et al. for some very interesting homework assignments.

Eric

--

Eric Hellman, President                            Openly Informatics, Inc.
eric at openly.com                                    2 Broad St., 2nd Floor