[WEB4LIB] here we go again...'Critical' security flaw threatens IE users

Thomas Bennett bennetttm at appstate.edu
Wed Jan 12 16:28:55 EST 2005

I'm not knocking other good browsers but one that doesn't get the
attention I think it deserves is Opera.

Although having used Opera since version 3, I am very impressed with the
newest Opera 8 beta after only using it about a day.  It seems to me
that Opera has been incorporating features into their browsers long
before others catch on like tabs, pop up blockers, and sending identity
to servers as Opera, Mozilla or IE quite often letting you pass through
those JavaScripts that limit access by the browsers they identify.
Preferences are easily set and quick preferences pop up with F12.  Back
to Opera 8 beta, speech is built into the browser along with the other
accessibility features it already had like scaling the page, graphics
and text, using ctrl-mouse wheel or a drop down like in Acrobat.

 Opera Show ( http://www.opera.com/support/tutorials/operashow )lets you
create powerpoint like presentations with just CSS and HTML.  The
previous URL, when viewed in Opera, will show you a presentation when in
Full Screen mode and a regular WEB page when out of full screen mode
because of the CSS or CSS like tags, You can set background images even.

  RSS Reader support is built-in not a plug-in and it puts an icon in
the right side of the address bar if a rdf file is availble and lets you
subscribe.  Also built-in is email and chat.  The email client had spam
blocking built in a version or two ago.  And, kiosk mode is a command
line switch away.  You can even build your own distribution from their
WEB site with your settings and splash screens.

  A press release dated today announced "Students surf safely with
Opera: Opera site license free for educational institutions" .  See:
http://www.opera.com/pressreleases/en/2005/01/12/   Build your own
distribution with school or company color skins and send announcements
on the communication banner.  You can save a set of tabbed sites as a
session with your own notes included.

And much more.  With all of these features, bells, and whistles they
still advertise as the "Fastest Browser on Earth" and it is very fast.
Its available for Linux, Mac, Windows, FreeBSD, Solaris, OS/2, QNX, and
mobil for PDAs and Cell phones.  Use shift-F11 to view a WAP version of
a WEB page to see how it is seen on PDAs and CellPhones.

Try it, its FREE.

Thomas

PS: I have no stock or investment in Opera, its just plain good.