Firefox upgrades and Flash

Pearson Dana callimachus2002 at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 1 14:52:34 EST 2005

Our library adopted Firebird (Firefox) a year or so
ago for our public access machines.  One problem we
have not solved yet is the loss of the Flash plugin
when upgrading to newer versions.  Our patrons often
initiate the upgrade when they find themselves at the
mozilla site or when they see a "click here to
download the plugin" on a web page.  We generally move
someone to another machine until we can reinstall
Flash.  Although we use Fortres 101 to lock the
machines down, i.e., to prevent application installs,
upgrades to Firefox are apparently possible; Flash
installation requires disabling Fortres and an
administrative login.

Can anyone suggest a solution to this minor problem?

Thanks, dana

Dana Pearson, MLIS
Tech Systems, Inc.
dpearson at techsystemsinc.net