[WEB4LIB] RE: Free Virtual Reference Software

Houghton, Sarah SHoughton at co.marin.ca.us
Mon Feb 7 11:19:31 EST 2005

Hi all,

We use Trillian (a free IM aggregator) to receive chat questions from AOL, MSN, and Yahoo chat clients.  It works well, and so far we're very happy with it.  While AOL still has the bulk of the IM market, it doesn't have all of it by any means.  We felt it was important to allow users to come in using a variety of chat clients--whatever they already have installed.  We wouldn't want them to have to install a particular chat client just to match up with what we, at the library, have chosen to use.

Sarah Houghton
e-Services Librarian
Marin County Free Library
San Rafael, California