Lessons Learned?

K.G. Schneider kgs at bluehighways.com
Fri Feb 25 09:55:24 EST 2005

One take-away for me from Gormangate is that it really does make a
difference who we elect to positions of leadership in our professional
associations. We who support Web 4 Lib and Blogs 4 Lib and Good Technology 4
Lib et al need to start asking harder questions of our erstwhile leadership,
and we need to participate in the elections. Turnout just inched past 20%
last year, apparently due to a bump from e-voting. 4 out of 5 members simply
don't participate.

Given that some of us have somewhat of a technology agenda for ALA--wireless
at conferences, a better CMS for the website, more technology support
overall--we need to think of questions to pose to our current ALA
presidential candidates.

Btw, Gorman's comments have also been picked up by Instapundit.
Librarians--we're famous! Oops, for what, though...

Karen G. Schneider
kgs at bluehighways.com