[WEB4LIB] Re: Citation creation code?

Drew, Bill drewwe at MORRISVILLE.EDU
Thu Feb 24 10:17:56 EST 2005

> It's hard to say, without know what tools you've tried and in
> what ways
> they get the APA format wrong.  It might be more productive
> to document
> the errors and contact the developers of those tools to see if they're
> easy fixes.

One in particular goes by the name of Citation Machine.  The author of
it states that it does make mistakes in citations.  I guess the coding
would be much more complex than I realize.

> My experience with an internal citation formatter is that
> several of the
> more common citation formats require subjective information that can't
> be automated or that aren't part of the citation itself (Is it a
> scholarly journal or a popular magazine? Did you access it
> electronically, and if so what on what date and from what URL?  etc.)

I was thinking of more of a web form where the user enters all of the
necessary information and in return gets the appropriate citation.  The
problems I see is not the fact that the fact that the students don't
have the necessary information for a complete citation.  It is simply
plugging in the information in the right slots.

Bill Drew