[WEB4LIB] Citation creation code?

Thomas Dowling tdowling at ohiolink.edu
Thu Feb 24 09:53:51 EST 2005

Drew, Bill wrote:
> I have been investigating different citation creation tools available on
> the internet.  I have found most to be wanting.  A significant number
> create wrong citations, especially in APA formats.  I am looking for
> "open source" code or code available under the GNU license that would
> create citations in the proper format via a web form.  I am not after
> creating  or using citation management software.  Any ideas?  I looked
> at the website for opens source for librarians and did not find anything
> there of use.

It's hard to say, without know what tools you've tried and in what ways
they get the APA format wrong.  It might be more productive to document
the errors and contact the developers of those tools to see if they're
easy fixes.

My experience with an internal citation formatter is that several of the
more common citation formats require subjective information that can't
be automated or that aren't part of the citation itself (Is it a
scholarly journal or a popular magazine? Did you access it
electronically, and if so what on what date and from what URL?  etc.)

--
Thomas Dowling
tdowling at ohiolink.edu