No subject

David King DavidKing at kclibrary.org
Wed Feb 16 22:29:22 EST 2005

> Maybe I'm missing something, but RSS seems awfully similar to Usenet,
> except more popular and on the web.  :-\

Apples and oranges, really.

Usenet: messages had to propagate around all the many servers that were accepting Usenet feeds, some servers didn't get all the feeds, etc - it was sometimes difficult to keep up a conversation on a hot topic, because you'd answer, then someone else would say "why haven't you answered?" ... their part of the world hadn't gotten the comments yet - it got very confusing. Usenet is really more closely related to modern-day web-based chatrooms.

RSS: This is a new way to read an old thing - you're writing on a website (same old thing), but "offering" your thoughts out to whoever wants to subscribe to your RSS feed (or find them through a search engine), which is the new thing.

Keeping up a conversation is actually slightly more difficult with RSS - you either have to make comments in the comments area of the original blog post (not as many people do this, and you don't always get a good conversation going using this method), or you have to make comments using your OWN blog (so obviously, you have to have one to comment on).

David King
http://daweed.blogspot.com