Firefox revolution over?

Walter Giesbrecht walterg at yorku.ca
Wed Feb 16 11:37:39 EST 2005

K.G. Schneider wrote:

> I haven't had experiences where Firefox has trouble rendering
> bad code, but I'd like to hear this group respond to that
> comment because I wonder if that isn't driven by MS itself.

The experiences I've had have been with bad (or simply weird)
Javascript that caused the page to continuously reload, making
the page useless.

> Though I agree with the premise that a browser should make
> every attempt to render a page. A browser is not a validator,
> it's a tool for browsing the Web (Opera, you hear me?).

"Making every attempt" is fine, but *mandating* a browser to
*properly* divine the intentions of the author and render the
page the way the author meant it to be (as opposed to the way it
was written) makes a mockery of the whole notion of Web
standards. I have no problem with a browser telling me, in effect
"I'm sorry, but I simply cannot tell what the author had in mind
when he/she/it wrote this page. You'll have to contact them to
find out what you were supposed to see."

Walter Giesbrecht                               walterg at yorku.ca
Data Librarian                                203E Scott Library
York University, Toronto, CANADA          416.736-2100 ext.77551