[WEB4LIB] RE: Firefox revolution over?

Kevin W Bishop bishopk at rpi.edu
Wed Feb 16 11:29:00 EST 2005

-----Original Message-----
From: web4lib at webjunction.org
[mailto:web4lib at webjunction.org] On Behalf Of K.G. Schneider
Sent: Wednesday, February 16, 2005 10:46 AM
To: Multiple recipients of list
Subject: [WEB4LIB] RE: Firefox revolution over?

First, the opinion piece surprised me, and seemed really opinion--not at
all
evidence-driven.

[snip]

I haven't had experiences where Firefox has trouble rendering bad code,
but
I'd like to hear this group respond to that comment because I wonder if
that
isn't driven by MS itself. Though I agree with the premise that a
browser
should make every attempt to render a page. A browser is not a
validator,
it's a tool for browsing the Web (Opera, you hear me?).
---------------------------

More opinion, less analysis, fewer facts.  ("What's in your wallet?")

If Firefox freezes when opening a PDF it is not necessarily an issue
with the browser but, more likely, the plug-in.  In my experience,
Acrobat has plenty of its own problems.

Admittedly, I am an opinionated builder of websites, but if a browser
doesn't render or "work" for a site because the site is built with
non-standard code, how is that the browser's fault?  Firefox generally
renders poorly built sites well enough for me to accomplish my
objectives.

Plus, it IS possible to check for updates within Firefox.  In my
version, clicking on a puzzle-piece icon next to the browser icon (in
the upper right-hand) will check for and install updates for the browser
itself as well as any extensions I have installed (Web Developer,
MapIt!, Tabbrowser Preferences, ColorZilla, Copy Plain Text, Define
Word, Copy URL+, FirefoxView, Sage, ... ).

While that feature may not be available in the op-author's install of
Firefox it should highlight the fact that Firefox is eminently
extensible and customizable to suit different browsing needs and habits.
IE was never so much fun.

Hrm.

-kb

Kevin W. Bishop > bishopk at rpi.edu
Communication & Collaboration Technologies
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute > http://www.rpi.edu/
  RPInfo: http://www.rpi.edu/rpinfo/