[WEB4LIB] Firefox revolution over?

Thomas Dowling tdowling at ohiolink.edu
Wed Feb 16 10:41:16 EST 2005

Roy Tennant wrote:
> The CNet Anchordesk is claiming that the Firefox revolution is over
> aborning, due to the announcement that Internet Explorer 7 will be
> released independent of Windows as early as this summer (in beta). See
> <http://www.cnet.com/4520-6033_1-5666404-1.html> for the opinion piece
> and <http://news.com.com/2100-1032_3-5577263.html> for the story.
> Roy

IE 7 will end the perception that IE is a gaping security hole, and will
kill off any hetergeneous browser environment.  After all, XP SP2 ended
the perception that Windows is a gaping security hole and killed off any
heterogeneous server and workstation environment, right?

Fact is, IE rapidly became a much better browser during the period
Microsoft was actively dealing with a threat from Netscape.  Unless we
can foresee a future in which Firefox pushes IE totally off the map,
it's good (for the majority of users) for Microsoft to respond to
Firefox as a threat.  A very large number of Windows users will end up
using a better browser.  And those who care will still have access to an
even better browser.

--
Thomas Dowling
tdowling at ohiolink.edu