[WEB4LIB] Firefox revolution over?

Ross Singer ross.singer at library.gatech.edu
Wed Feb 16 10:26:48 EST 2005

Wow, that editorial has a "And I, for one, welcome our new Redmond-based
overlords" tone about it.

There are a lot of assumptions here (i.e. the rush to market won't bring
a buggy product; IE7 will be compatible with all of these IE-only sites;
IE7 will deliver anywhere near on time), but I'm not sure MS can put
this genie back in the bottle.

I'll admit, I have no idea what will happen to Firefox (although
Google's seeming financial backing of it makes me think it'll do fine),
but I think there is enough skepticism and doubt surrounding all things
MS at this point (by those that make decisions) that I'm not sure MS
will ever gain back their past market share.  There's a fundamental
difference right now versus when IE took over the market.  Netscape had
just sat around with version 4 for too long, however the Firefoxes, the
Mozillas, the Safaris /aren't sitting still/.  If that makes for a
better IE, then everybody wins.

-Ross.