Google Mail invitations? Any takers?

Joseph Murphy murphyjm at kenyon.edu
Tue Feb 15 11:41:00 EST 2005

>>  ...When
>> Google takes gmail out of beta and starts charging for it they'll make
>> billions....
>
> Does this mean that those who grab the free-gmail will enjoy no bills
> when
> They start charging?
> Or...?

I think worrying about Google charging end users for GMail is barking
up the wrong tree. With two gigabytes of storage space and a rapidly
expanding user base, what they've got is a data mining goldmine. (A
gold data mine?) They're going to know more about their users than
anybody else, including things like the relationship of mail keywords
to advertisement click-through. Imagine the possibility for real-time
ad sales based on trends in aggregate email keywords. "Hi, this is
Google. We have 2 million new emails today using the name "Tom Brady."
Shouldn't you be trying to sell these people a jersey?" Imagine what
happens when they start basing ads off of your whole email history
instead of just per message. Google could be looking at the recovery of
viable advertising-based services on the web.

(I also think that they'll discover a market for people who'll pay for
4 or more gigabytes... but that, like Yahoo and Hotmail, most people
won't.)

Meanwhile, libraries sit on huge amounts of data and rarely make any
attempt to use it in the aggregate, out of concern for individualism
(and privacy). Why don't we use search logs or circulation records to
do some Reader's Advisory on the fly? Why are our catalogs so hard to
personalize? And why are these supposedly "individual" decisions so
often made by a small group of librarians for the whole user community?
(I was stunned to find a little public library in West Virginia which
allows individual users to turn "borrowing history" on or off as they
like... I'd never heard of a library which trusted the end user to make
that decision before.)

I'm not saying we should necessarily "become Google." But I am saying
that we don't always leverage all of our assets, and that should be a
conscious choice, not an implicit one.

Joe Murphy
Librarian and Technology Consultant
Library and Information Services