[Web4lib] Library Elf reveals user info

Andrew Mutch amutch at waterford.lib.mi.us
Wed Dec 28 15:42:40 EST 2005

Ed,

I agree that the library could determine that consent could be provided
electronically, assuming that the lawyers agree. I just don't think many
libraries have addressed this issue at all. As I noted, even our own
systems  provide access to patron information in a way that could be
argued are not consistent with state law. As libraries, we either need to
get the state laws more in line with what's happening electronically or we
need to start getting the OK from our patrons before allowing information
to be disseminated to third party systems. As you noted, the demand by
patrons for access to information isn't going to go away. So we need to
figure out how to manage it while being consistent with the laws which are
designed to protect patron privacy.

Andrew Mutch
Library Systems Technician
Waterford Township Public Library