[Web4lib] Library Elf reveals user info

Edward Vielmetti edward.vielmetti at gmail.com
Wed Dec 28 15:37:27 EST 2005

Andrew,

The particular law you cite below has a section 3 that says
that the library can determine what "written consent" is, and
I'd argue if I had to argue that that consent could be provided
in electronic format.

I'm all for libraries not releasing patron info unless the
patron explicitly wants it released.  What pains me is when
the efforts at patron privacy completely torpedo efforts
at sharing and collaborative efforts within the library
system.  I want to (and have) shared my lists of holds and
checkouts with others, and if given proper permissions
and a non-geeky setup I'm sure many other people would want to do the
same.  Otherwise as patrons we'll turn to Library Elf
and Amazon etc etc and bypass all the local services.

Ed