[Web4lib] AJAX interactivity and accessibility

John Fereira jaf30 at cornell.edu
Thu Dec 22 06:53:49 EST 2005

At 08:46 PM 12/21/2005, Richard Wiggins wrote:
>Jeremy,
>
>I'd be glad to put you in touch with Jason -- will talk to him tomorrow.
>

>Michael argues that any time you make a dichotomy between the graphical
>version and the "text-only" version, inevitably the two fall out of sync.

I disagree.  If a site is designed well, the content and presentation
will be separate.   For example,  if a site is created using XML/XSLT
the content will be represented in XML but how it's rendered will be
managed using an XSL file.  It can check whether it's rendering a
version with graphics or a text-only version and transform the
content appropriately.  It doesn't have to be XML/XSLT.  Any
scripting language that provides a separation of data and
presentation will work (Java Server Pages, PHP, Velocity, Tapestry, etc).

>In fact, during one demo, the text-only version of our library site lacked
>some content that the graphical site had.  In this case, incredibly ironic,
>the graphical site described a lighting renovation project in the library.
>

>I think the point is that the degradation should be seamless.  A user of
>JAWS or other tools should simply encounter links that work.  They should
>not have to make a choice to go to the version of the site that works for
>them.

John Fereira
jaf30 at cornell.edu
Ithaca, NY