[Web4lib] AJAX interactivity and accessibility

Richard Wiggins richard.wiggins at gmail.com
Wed Dec 21 20:46:52 EST 2005

Jeremy,

I'd be glad to put you in touch with Jason -- will talk to him tomorrow.

As to whether you "gracefully degrade" or provide a specific choice to
connect to the accessible version --  that piece I think I can explain.
Michael Hudson heads the Resource Center for Persons with Disabilities at
Michigan State.  He uses JAWS (is a beta tester for new versions) and other
screen readers for the blind.

When he demonstrates use of screen readers, he uses IE as the browser.  If a
site follows accessibility rules,  it works just fine for  him, and sighted
people in the audience can see his navigation, while hearing what links he's
encountering and following.

Michael argues that any time you make a dichotomy between the graphical
version and the "text-only" version, inevitably the two fall out of sync.
In fact, during one demo, the text-only version of our library site lacked
some content that the graphical site had.  In this case, incredibly ironic,
the graphical site described a lighting renovation project in the library.

I think the point is that the degradation should be seamless.  A user of
JAWS or other tools should simply encounter links that work.  They should
not have to make a choice to go to the version of the site that works for
them.

Jason can explain this far better than I.  I'll hook you up.

/rich