[Web4lib] AJAX on library websites?

Jeremy Dunck jdunck at gmail.com
Fri Dec 16 22:13:32 EST 2005

On 12/16/05, Amy M Ostrom <amostrom at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear Web4libbers:
>
> Sorry for multiple emails.  I am wondering if anyone else has been
> following AJAX (asynchronous javascript and xml) and is thinking about
> implementing it somehow into their library design?  The University of
> Wisconsin directory ( http://www.wisc.edu/directories/?name= ) is an
> example, and using it I thought this new combination of web tools could
> be a great benefit to libraries.  Any insight or examples would be
> wonderful!  Thank you.

I'm pretty involved in javascript.  AJAX can allow nicer user
interaction, but it can also mean loss of accessibility, which of
course is a major concern for library computing.

For one thing, screen readers don't know what to do with dynamically
updating page content.  For another, people with cognitive
disabilities may be unable to adjust to the unexpected interaction.

On the other hand, providing an enhanced experience for the main
audience and an accessible alternative for those who need it is often
an acceptable approach.

I can imagine a -much- better search interface for OPACs using AJAX.

Give this a shot:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/gsl/search/finder/002-0769679-4852834?productGroupID=loose%5fdiamonds

And imagine adjusting those settings to MARC attributes.