[Web4lib] Subscriber Removal Clarification

JQ Johnson jqj at darkwing.uoregon.edu
Fri Dec 16 17:07:02 EST 2005

Can any of the librarians on this list point to early literature from the
ARPAnet about flame wars and list meltdowns?  The first list meltdown I
remember -- though I'm sure it actually was far from the first -- was on
"editor-people", an arpanet mailing list I moderated in the late 1970s.  As
with the current web4lib discussion, we had a period of several days when
people were so incensed about process and each other that they stopped
talking about intellectual content.

It's a huge waste, and by the time the dust settles many of us will have
either unsubscribed or set our spam filters to avoid reading web4lib.

Incidentally, the usual pattern in flame wars is that someone posts a
metacomment about the flame war, and then everybody flames about the
metacomment for a while.

JQ Johnson, Director                 Office: 115F Knight Library
Center for Educational Technologies  mailto:jqj at uoregon.edu
1299 University of Oregon            phone: 1-541-346-1746; -3485 fax
Eugene, OR 97403-1299                http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~jqj/