[Web4lib] Libraries, BitTorrent, and OAI

Drew, Bill drewwe at MORRISVILLE.EDU
Tue Dec 6 16:46:30 EST 2005

I posted this on my blog but thought I might get some ideas here.

Bill Drew

 After reading the story mentioned here
<http://www.travelinlibrarian.info/2005/12/piracy-is-good-how-battlestar
.html>  by Michael Sauers on his blog, The Travelin' Librarian
<http://www.travelinlibrarian.info/index.html> , I have been wondering
if any libraries are using BitTorrent or any other peer-to-peer network
software to distribute OAI compliant titles. It would seem to me this
would be the perfect way to do so as long as it could be made secure in
terms of preventing viruses or worms from being downloaded by users. Is
anyone doing such a thing? This would seem to me to be an obvious
Library 2.0 improvement.

Tags:

*	OAI <http://del.icio.us/BabyBoomerLibrarian/OAI>
*	Networks <http://del.icio.us/BabyBoomerLibrarian/Networks>