FW: [Web4lib] Outside disk usage

Craig, Emory ecraig at cnr.edu
Tue Aug 16 12:23:44 EDT 2005

Though I come from a bit of a non library perspective (but work closely
with ours and part of my research is on libraries and info lit) let me
weigh in on this one. . .

Our library was also resistant to students bringing in their own storage
a few years back until we convinced them to go with DeepFreeze -- much
better IMHO than windows policy editor as it opens up the machines to
users but restores a standard configuration on reboot. We also ran into
the Dell / port location problem in our public labs until my lab manager
came up with the ingenious solution of running four foot extender cables
from the USB ports in the back. Now every machine has a labeled cable
next to the keyboard for flash drives, iPods, or whatever someone wants
to plug in without having to get down on the floor to do it.

Btw, we are fortunate here in that we implemented a mandatory laptop
program last year which included a flash drive in the package (I was
maniacal in my insistence on this feature). So this year (the second
year of the program), 50% of our students will be carrying flash drives
and the floppies are beginning to finally disappear. Even better,
faculty and staff are being shamed by students into using them, and
defective disks (once the bane of our existence) are becoming a thing of
the past.

My feelings on using portable storage in libraries - absolutely
necessary unless you just have everything online (not possible with the
digital rights issue) or provide free printing (which we no longer do
this year).

Regards,

Emory

Emory Craig