[Web4lib] IT-free RSS-based What's New page solutions

K.G. Schneider kgs at bluehighways.com
Fri Aug 12 16:03:55 EDT 2005

I did a talk to librarians this morning about blogs, and once again got a
question I hear a lot. The question is how to include a feed-based What's
New section on a webpage when the webpage is not delivered with a content
management system that can handle this inherently and the person maintaining
the page can't run scripts, write code, etc. I'm not talking about a link to
a separate webpage--I'm talking about actually displaying the feed content
on the page. You can see several examples from my "virtual handout":

http://freerangelibrarian.com/archives/081205/presentation_to_carl.php

These are all coded by people with server access, though.

I'm assuming the answer runs like this: You need something, anything, that
will produce a feed, and then you need a way to paste code on your page that
displays the feed entries.

I've seen products such as http://www.feedforall.com/ (to produce the feed)
and also the script they offer,
http://www.feedforall.com/free-php-script.htm (to display the feed). Does
anyone have other solutions?

I hear this so often it would make a great program somewhere, sometime. Or
perhaps the LITA blogging crowd could talk about it informally this fall at
LITA Forum...

Karen G. Schneider
kgs at bluehighways.com