[Web4lib] Best way to search a pdf

Jim Rible Rible at sou.edu
Wed Aug 10 12:53:37 EDT 2005

I wrote an article for the April 2005 issue of Computers in Libraries about our web based digital library (based on RetrievalWare form Convera - http://www.convera.com/) that searches PDF files. While not perfect, it is one of the best systems I have seen to do what you want. You can see the results at soda.sou.edu. When you do a search, it goes through all (currently) 1700 pdf files (some as large as 500 pages each). When you bring up a document it automatically highlights your search term.

A similar product I have seen is Olive software (http://www.olivesoftware.com/).

Jim Rible, Systems Librarian
Hannon Library
Southern Oregon University
Ashland, Oregon 97520
rible at sou.edu
541/552-6821
541/552-6821

>>> Kevin Devine <kdevine at euclidlibrary.org> 08/10/05 7:03 AM >>>
I want to have a search engine on our web site search through pdf files
looking for keywords and such, which engines have people used and to
what level of success have they been used?  If you have online examples
that would also be helpful.

Thank you very much,
Kevin Devine
Euclid Public Library