[WEB4LIB] Re: Cataloging computer files

Alain D. M. G. Vaillancourt ndgmtlcd at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 20 14:27:09 EDT 2005

If we are talking not about a general Search function but about a
backbone on which to hang metadata or from which to encourage
organisation (by taxonomy - savvy librarians and the like) and if we
are talking about Microsoft Office files, you could do a lot worse than
exploiting the already existing (and grossly under exploited or not
exploited at all, nearly everywhere that I have worked) "properties"
function (it's in the "File " drop-down), which writes directly to
Windows Explorer if you do (or re-do) the initial installations
properly.

Alain Vaillancourt