LexisNexis & OpenURL discussion

Steve Oberg steve.oberg at gmail.com
Wed Apr 20 13:02:02 EDT 2005

I wanted to belatedly contribute to a recent thread about the ability,
or lack thereof, for OpenURL functionality for LexisNexis Academic.  I
am a member of a group called the LexisNexis Academic Content Advisory
Committee.  This group is made up of librarians representing various
sectors of users (e.g. I represent small college libraries) along with
some LexisNexis personnel.  The group meets in conjunction with ALA.  In
the two years I've been part of this group, this issue has been raised
several times by librarian representatives.  I shared with the group the
fact that this issue was raised here on Web4Lib.  I think it is safe to
say that this issue may be receiving more attention from LexisNexis than
heretofore, although I have no idea where this might go or how soon
something might develop from it.  There will be some more dialog between
representatives of the committee (including me) and LexisNexis staff
about this issue in the near future.  If you have particular concerns or
want to articulate your wishes for OpenURL functionality for this
database, I'd like to hear about them.  Please send them to me offlist.

Thanks,

Steve

Steve Oberg
Family Man Librarian